When you are experiencing issues with your boundaries or codependency in your relationships, you might become so invested in getting validation from others that you are unable to function as an independent person. You may only have an identity in another person and feel as if you can’t be happy unless they are happy.
“In a codependent relationship, there is usually one person who is more passive and can’t make decisions for themselves and a more dominant personality who gets some reward and satisfaction from controlling the other person and making decisions about how they will live.” -Dr. Becker
Learning how to set boundaries is an important part of creating and establishing your own identity and it’s incredibly important for your mental well-being. With therapy, you will learn what healthy boundaries are and how to appropriately set them so you can show more compassion and kindness to yourself.
Symptoms of codependency:
- Difficulty identifying your feelings
- Difficulty making decisions in relationships
- Difficulty communicating in a relationship
- Valuing the approval of others more than valuing yourself
- Lacking trust in yourself and having poor self-esteem
- Having an obsessive need for approval
- Having an unhealthy dependence on relationships
- Having an exaggerated sense of responsibility for the actions of others
Vivi’s multimodal art-making, mindfulness, active imagination, body-mind synthesis, and ceremony and Kristie’s yoga-informed therapy, DBT, and mindfulness techniques can help you work through the muck in your mind that causes you to feel out of touch with your true, joyful self.
Schedule a consultation with one of our therapists today and give your brain the help it deserves.